In this science show, Key Stage 2 pupils will be able to follow the fascinating journey of a banana sandwich from the moment it is chewed, to the moment it is pooed!
Children will learn about the digestive system and importance of having a healthy, well-balanced diet. Your pupils will find out how our bodies absorb the vitamins and minerals they needs and – more amusingly – how we get rid of what we don’t!
- Learn about the different parts of the digestive system and the role of each in digestion.
- Learn about teeth and their role in the mechanical breakdown of food in the mouth.
- Using the eatwell plate to identify the key nutrient groups and the foods they are found in.
- Understand the components of a balanced diet.
- Understand that our body absorbs nutrients from the food we eat and how it gets rid of what we don’t need.
- Learn that it’s important to eat foods which contain fibre, drink lots of water and take plenty of exercise to keep the digestive process running smoothly.
Animals, including humans:
- Identify that animals, including humans, need the right types and amount of nutrition and they get nutrition from what they eat.
- Describe the simple functions of the basic parts of the digestive system in humans.
- Identify the different types of teeth in humans and their simple functions.
- Recognise the impact of diet and exercise on the way their bodies function.
- Describe the ways in which nutrients and water are transported within animals, including humans.
Running throughout the Autumn Term 2019 excluding:
- 13th September
- 18th October – 4th November
Combine From the Chew to the Poo with a gallery visit to All About Me – our gallery dedicated to the human body.