Lost annual pass

Lost your pass? Don’t worry.

What to do if your pass is lost or stolen...

If your pass has been lost or stolen, we can set you up on the online annual pass system

We just need the following bits of information

  • The name and full address (including the postcode) of the lead adult on the pass
  • Names and dates of birth for everyone on the pass
  • Pictures of each person on the pass, if you don’t want to bring along photo ID for the adults each time you visit

Just give us a call on 01422 330069 or send us an e-mail at info@eureka.org.uk and we can get you set up

What then?

When you next visit you’ll just need to bring along your membership number (which we will give you once you’re on the system) and some photo ID for the adults on the pass (if you haven’t provided photos to be uploaded)

Eureka! The National Children’s Museum
Discovery Road, Halifax HX1 2NE. Map